Just a little reminder as to why life as a single girl isn't all bad.

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

A Brief Introduction

I grew up in the South where marriage is expected of everyone. A girl is expected to do well in high school; she is allowed to go to college, and sometimes, even graduate school. But by the time she finishes her education, she faces the inevitable question by some well meaning relative or friend: "So, when are you getting married?" And unless you can say with certainty something to the effect of "June 24, 2013," any answer you give will be met with disapproval. Believe me, I've been there.

And with such tsk-tsking going on, it's easy to start wondering, "What's wrong with me?" "Why doesn't anyone want to marry me?" and "Am I going to have to start wearing long dresses with high neck lace collars if I'm going to be an old spinster?" These well meaning women who "just wants to see you married and happy already" seem to forget that sometimes, a girl makes life choices that leads her down a path different from the one that sees her married at age 22. And these same women insinuate that the only way we're going to be happy in life is if we marry and have a dozen babies. Gee, I really hope that doesn't happen to me (the dozen babies part, I mean; that's a little much, if you ask me!).

So this blog is an attempt to remind single women everywhere that your happiness is not dependent on whether you have a piece of expensive jewelry on your all-important finger. Our happiness should not be found in another human being who is just as fallen from grace as we are. And we can take our lives, just as they are, and just as they have been ordained by our Maker, and find peace, satisfaction, and even contentment without being married.

I would like to note what this blog is NOT: it is NOT meant to be a men-bashing blog. Sure, there will be plenty of times where we poke fun at the members of the opposite sex, but it's all in good fun. This is also NOT a forum to bash married women, either. Finally, this is NOT a blog that will be extolling the virtues of late drunken nights and bed hopping; if you haven't guessed by now, I am a Christian who is trying to honor God in all that she does.

So the intent of this blog is to encourage single women and to provide a little perspective (and, admittedly, some sarcasm) on life as we know it. At the end of the day, being single isn't all that bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment